Wednesday, April 15, 2009

House Guts, Ghosts, and Headless Baby Dolls

The renovation to the second floor of our little Cape Cod has finally begun. I should say the demolition rather, since that's as far as we've come so far.

I'm overwhelmed and restless about the whole thing. We've been working like dogs for three days and have only now reached the halfway point. Bob (the house ghost and home's original owner) has at least been taking it easy on us and has avoided any tomfoolery that would slow us down. He's not been totally quiet, mind you. More on that later.

Here's a look at what gutting part of a 1940 house looks like:





I can't believe how invasive all that loose insulation can be. I truly think it has permeated EVERY inch of the house now that we've freed it from its little prison between the walls. My lungs will be glad when this is all finished.





The work has come with a few rewards, though. Take these cool finds as an example: a neat 1940s tin dollhouse (with furniture - in the box at the top left of the photo) and a CREEPY headless doll complete with a bassinet. I hope that these discoveries don't open any paranormal worm cans that we aren't prepared for...

3 comments:

Sharon Day said...

Wow! Love the babydoll. Keep it up and document anything weird that happens. I'm always intrigued by renovation hauntings

Jaya said...

hi i just came across your blog! i hope you update more!

danielle said...

I have a dollhouse similar to that - only mine is from the 50's. Dont know what happened to the furniture - dont even remember the furniture! The headless babydoll made me laugh - my daughter told me last week that my grand daughter had pulled the FEET off one of her babydolls! That is something new - usually it is the head that gets messed up, not the feet!