Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Nearing the home stretch.

It's not often that one can complain of too much help - but WOW. Word has gotten around about my current project and things seem to have snowballed. Folks are coming to me with tales of fantastic encounters, sites normally closed to the public have invited me in to share their ghostly activity with the masses, and requests for investigations are coming in from all over Virginia.

I'm on the final stretch of the Plantations project and hope to have all of my data collected and analyzed before Halloween. Not much writing goes on around here during Halloween week - I'm a dedicated yard haunter with half of the kids in Richmond eagerly watching and waiting for the "big reveal" on Halloween night. After terrifying the neighborhood come 2nd draft revisions... and the polishing... and the editorial sweep. I have enough coffee to hold out until the very last "T" is crossed and promise to deliver a fun and exciting volume of my latest adventures that will hopefully hit shelves by late Summer of 2009 (fingers crossed!)

I'll be finishing up my sections on Charles City and Hopewell this week and will be traveling to Surry County and Newport News next week. Any personal encounters to share from Southeast Virginia? I'm listening!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth
I love Halloween too. It has always been my favorite season. I hope you will take some photos of your yard and post them. I would love to see what you do.
As for the hauntings. I hope you get a chance to go to Beacon Castle if you haven't been there. I don't think the people who run it will admit to a ghost, but I think there is something there. I would love to go back sometime. I am in Newport News and of course we have both End View and Lee Hall Mansion here. Also Blue Bird Gap farm in Hampton has had some activity...
I am looking forward to reading what you write about the Plantations.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the double comment. I mean to write BACON Castle. I should have spell checked before sending..

Beth Brown said...

Bacon's Castle is at the top of my list for Surry - what a bizarre legend about that mysterious fireball that goes down the chimney! I'm not sure it really counts as a ghost story, but it certainly sounds paranormal if it's anything more than a tall tale.

I'll probably have to take a couple of days with Newport News. There seem to be enough encounters at End View alone to fill a book...