Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Distinctive "Richmond Accent"

Those of you from Virginia know exactly what I'm talking about - people from Richmond have a very distinct, unique accent that's found nowhere else in the American South. Most of my generation and those younger have a diluted version of the original that pales in comparison (I blame the monotalk of TV for the change) but know at least a handful of old-timers with The Real Deal.

I found out from a friend from Pennsylvania that the Richmond Accent is fairly well-known. She announced to some pals that she would be visiting here and they responded with, "Ooooh! Maybe you'll meet someone who says 'rivah'!" That really blows my mind for some reason - probably because I hear "rivah" more times in a day than I care to count....

Back to the point. This hilarious little parody about Richmond's ever-changing mashup of architecture is narrated with the BEST (albeit fake) Richmond Accent I've ever heard. Think of this as your own little trip to a city stuck in time.

Watch, listen, enjoy.



My grandparents sounded like this, and all of my aunts and uncles still do!

1 comment:

Jane said...

If you want to hear an authentic Richmond accent look up "A Very Richmond Phone Call" on youtube.