Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Physical and Mental Housekeeping

My spiritual journey is still quite new. In fact, it really only got moving in the past few months. Since that kick-start, I have been compelled to do some pretty unusual things. What's been most interesting to me is to learn after the fact that the "odd" things I had been driven to do are exactly what I should have been doing to ready myself for this sort of spiritual development. So far, the results have been amazing! For those hoping to make room for your own psychic or spiritual growth, here is what I've been up to:


De-Cluttering

This has been both a physical and a mental sort of housekeeping. I wrangled the help of my husband and the two of us began mercilessly combing through our belongings and getting rid of things that were no longer (if they were ever) useful to us. In less than a week, we donated over 100 pounds of clothing, eight paper grocery bags of books, four boxes of household items, and at least two extra-large garbage bags of toys to a local charity. It truly felt as though a weight was lifted or like a dark cloud had moved from over our home.

Something strange happened after we moved out the excess - my mental clarity seemed to sharpen tremendously. I then had the overpowering need to tie up loose ends, to finish anything I had left dangling. I just sort of went with it and tidied up whatever came to mind. Those things varied from the mundane (an art project I started and then abandoned for months) to the extremely important (expressing my gratitude to people who had been tremendously influential to me.)

By the end of a month, I felt like a completely new person. New opportunities and fantastic little sychronistic things started coming into my life like I had simply opened a door and invited them. Perhaps in a way that is what I did.


Purging Physical Impurities

Having been a vegetarian for twenty-two years, I thought I had a pretty good handle on my diet. When I decided to curb my caffeine intake and cut out sugar and junk in early November, I was not prepared for what a drastic change I would feel - for the better!

I am making sure to drink more than enough water each day, keep my vitamins in check, get plenty of sleep, and eat the freshest fruits and vegetables possible. I would almost swear that my cognitive ability has improved as a result.

Grounding and Meditation

Oh, this is a big one. I've paid so much more attention to breathing, releasing tension, and focusing on the positive than I ever have before. Making conscious movements, staying mentally in the moment, and just really being present has made all of life's little stress factors seem insignificant. This has allowed me to notice things that I would normally have let slip by - things that I can only with certainty call "unusual" at this point, but which may have some paranormal significance.

I feel like I have reached some sort of plateau for now, but I am following my instincts and looking for the next turn in the road. Even without a map, I'm sure I will recognize it when I get there.

No comments: